This is a great discussion, please keep it up!

On Sunday, December 16, 2012, Alex Harvey wrote:

> On Monday, December 17, 2012 5:55:30 PM UTC+11, James Polley wrote:
>>

>> My reading is that, even if this is just a bugfix, the fact that it's
>> backwards-incompatible requires a major version bump.
>>

> Well, without a documented API you could argue that all bugfixes are
> backwards-incompatible changes.  A backwards incompatible change is a
> change to the public API, as you've noted.  In this case the fact in
> question is apparently supposed to count logical CPUs whereas in reality it
> counts CPU cores on Solaris.

This is true, but even without a documented API we can make changes that we
have a high degree of confidence are backwards compatible.  I struggle with
this issue all the time and simply try and make a best effort to minimize
the disruption to the end user who upgrades.  Often this is the best we can
do.

For our part, we're currently working to document as much of the public
Facter API as possible. Please see Patrick's pull request from last week.

> Is there an actual documented API to refer to?  If not, I don't think
> SemVer really helps us here - it becomes a matter of opinion as to what the
> implied API is.  In my opinion, the implied API is that processorcount
> counts logical CPUs and currently gets it wrong on Solaris.

SemVer is still useful even without a public API. it's just a lot more
difficult to make decisions like this one.

All said, however, whatever SemVer says I think for purely practical
> reasons perhaps we should treat this as a backwards incompatible change. :)

In this case I think we must release this in Facter 2 or figure out a way
to make it backwards compatible.

-Jeff