As Justin Lambert mentioned, Software Collections may be a good option
for you. Here's a quick intro to software collections on cent/rhel 6:
http://developerblog.redhat.com/2013/01/28/software-collections-on-red-hat-enterprise-linux/
. I haven't tried this, but looking at the ruby193 repo they
reference, it has a good number of gems built as rpms.

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 11:03 AM, Wolf Noble <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi Christian,
>
> Here's a reasonable means of going about building 1.9.3 RPMs on cent5/6
> https://github.com/imeyer/ruby-1.9.3-rpm
>
> I've stubbed out the sub packages in this PR:
> https://github.com/imeyer/ruby-1.9.3-rpm/pull/16
>
> the sub-packages don't actually do anything, but don't require changes
> to any existing manifests which reference sub-packages like ruby-devel
> either.
>
> It's not forklifting the work of repo/package maintenance off onto
> someone else, but can at least get you 1.9.3 installed via safe
> sources utilizing the native package management tools in centos.
>
>
> HTH
>
> On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 11:54 AM, Justin Stoller <[email protected]> 
> wrote:
>>> Naive question: Why don't you provide one in yum.puppetlabs.com :-) ?
>> We provide a 1.8.7 that does what you're asking for EL 5s because we dropped
>> support in Puppet 3 for Ruby 1.8.5. I don't know if we have plans to provide
>> a 1.9.3 for any systems prior to us actually dropping support for 1.8.7.
>>
>> Puppet Enterprise 3, however, comes with Puppet 3.2 and Ruby 1.9.3  :)
>>
>>
>>> For RHEL derivatives one option might be Redhat's Software Collections.
>> I was under the impression Software Collections were still largely a Fedora
>> thing until RHEL 7.
>> (but I'm neither the RHEL nor packaging guy)
>>
>>
>>  - Justin
>>
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 8:21 AM, Justin Lambert
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>
>>> For RHEL derivatives one option might be Redhat's Software Collections.
>>> They have added Ruby 1.9.3 support to RHEL through that.  I have testing it
>>> out on my todo list, but haven't made it that far yet.  I'm not quickly
>>> finding a link to the actual RPM, but here's their PDF about it:
>>> https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Developer_Toolset/1/html-single/Software_Collections_Guide/index.html
>>>
>>> jl
>>>
>>>
>>> On Jul 25, 2013, at 9:13 AM, Christian Flamm
>>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>> I'm (using CentOS 6.4 and I'm) suffering from an AFAIU performance/design
>>> bug (http://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/20865) which (althoughit's not
>>> recommended as a work-around) does not occur when using Ruby-1.9.3 (Yaeh!)
>>> instead of Ruby-1.8.7. I just can't find a public, well-known,
>>> well-maintained repository (I can't find any, actually) that offers it as an
>>> EL6 RPM.
>>>
>>> I know one can install different ruby versions with rvm. My problems with
>>> this approach are (similar issues with compiling from source):
>>>
>>> rvm and yum (the way Ruby is currently installed) are tools that AFAIK
>>> don't care/know about each other
>>> gem (I guess I'd have to use gem then to install puppet?) and yum (the way
>>> puppet and puppet-server packages are currently installed) are tools that
>>> AFAIK don't care/know about each other
>>> Because not caring/knowing about each other - Can one tool harm (e.g.
>>> partially override?) software/files installed by the other tool?
>>> Which Ruby do I start, when typing ruby into a console... same for puppet.
>>> Which of these "rivaling" tools (rvm vs. yum, gem vs. yum) has control over
>>> e.g. $PATH order?
>>>
>>> That's why I would prefer a Ruby-1.9.3 RPM that I could install (clean
>>> update over 1.8.7) which in addition works fine with RPM packages (e.g.
>>> puppet-server-xxx.el6.noarch.rpm, puppet-xxx.el6.noarch.rpm) from
>>> yum.puppetlabs.com.
>>>
>>> Naive question: Why don't you provide one in yum.puppetlabs.com :-) ?
>>>
>>> Christian
>>>
>>> --
>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
>>> "Puppet Developers" group.
>>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
>>> email to [email protected].
>>> To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
>>> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-dev.
>>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
>>> "Puppet Developers" group.
>>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
>>> email to [email protected].
>>> To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
>>> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-dev.
>>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>>
>> Join ME at PuppetConf 2013, August 22-23 in San Francisco -
>> http://bit.ly/pupconf13
>>
>> --
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
>> "Puppet Developers" group.
>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
>> email to [email protected].
>> To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
>> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-dev.
>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
>>
>>
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
> "Puppet Developers" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an 
> email to [email protected].
> To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-dev.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
>
>



-- 
Matthaus Owens
Release Manager, Puppet Labs

Join us at PuppetConf 2013, August 22-23 in San Francisco -
http://bit.ly/pupconf13
Register now and take advantage of the Final Countdown discount - save 15%!

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Puppet Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-dev.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.


Reply via email to