On Thursday, November 7, 2013 9:47:56 AM UTC-7, John Bollinger wrote:

> On Wednesday, November 6, 2013 5:50:35 AM UTC-6, Rob Reynolds wrote:
>>
>> Here is the ARM -
>> https://github.com/puppetlabs/armatures/blob/master/arm-16.acls/index.md
>>
>> Also have some questions listed at
>> https://github.com/puppetlabs/armatures/blob/master/arm-16.acls/index.md#open-questions
>>

> And now for the "continue tearing it apart" part :-).  Issues that occur
> to me upon first reading of the ARM, in no particular order:
>
> 3. If security descriptors and/or ACLs may in the future support other
> types of objects than files, then there is a potential for name (title)
> collisions.  Unlike many resource types, the ones documented in ARM-16 do
> not appear to have any property separate from their titles by which to
> specify the object to which they apply (compare Exec.command or
> File.path).  Moreover, even that might be enough.  Puppet has no support
> for compound resource identifiers -- which causes problems for Packages on
> multilib systems, for example -- so although (type, identifier) may
> distinguish (say) a specific security descriptor to a human, Puppet doesn't
> know what to do with that.  Instead, how about using URIs:
>
> security_descriptor {
>   'file:/absolute/path':
>     # ...
>     ;
>   'other_protocol:/looks/like/a/path'':
>     # ...
>     ;
> }
>

> John

This is incredibly important to me.  I often have to manage domain user's
access to private keys stored in the certificate stores (i.e.
cert:\\LocalMachine\My\{thumbprint}) - in fact, this is my primary need for
any ACLs for Windows.  As noted in the ARM, registry key access would be
nice, although I have not needed it.

My need is to set multiple permissions on the same certificate from
multiple modules, which to this point is a terrible mess.  I don't see
anything documented that would allow this scenario to work - adding to an
ACL defined defined in module A from module B.  Since my primary use case
for ACLs is private key permissions, I will just through this out to noodle
on:  Module A:Cert defines a certificate and installs it to LocalMachine\My
and creates an ACL with no ACEs.  A, with some knowledge of the user
needing private key access to the cert in A:Cert adds to the ACL defined
there.  Module B requires the same certificate and PK access defined in
A:Cert, so it includes A:Cert, but would also need to add to A:Cert's
defined ACL.

The problem above has been my only issue that I have encountered in Puppet
that I have yet to come up with a graceful solution to.  From reading the
ARM, I don't think this will solve it, but just wanted to through out a use
case that could be extended to file ACLs as well.

Brian