W dniu czwartek, 16 stycznia 2014 01:01:38 UTC+1 użytkownik James Turnbull
napisał:

> Andy Parker wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 1:21 PM, Dustin J. Mitchell
> > <dus...@v.igoro.us<javascript:>
> > <mailto:dus...@v.igoro.us <javascript:>>> wrote:
> >
> >     On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 4:20 PM, Andy Parker
> > <an...@puppetlabs.com<javascript:>
> >     <mailto:an...@puppetlabs.com <javascript:>>> wrote:
> >     >   * Tier2 code ideally won't live inside the puppet repo at all
> >     ..
> >     >   1. create a "modules" directory that is a peer of "lib" in the
> >     puppet repo
> >
> >     These seem contradictory..
> >

> > They are. I'm thinking that the modules directory would live only as
> > long as it takes to extract them out in a way that produces reasonable
> > modules for publishing on the forge. The reason for the modules step is
> > so that we can keep shipping a working system as the work is going on
> > without having to keep the changes on a long lived branch.
> >
> > The contradiction is resolved after we complete the final step "After
> > that is all in place (or just after the first one plumbs in all of the
> > functionality) I think we can then start moving things off to the forge
> > and pulling them in a different way."
> >

> I think this is a broadly good idea but I've got one concern about the
> on ramp to using Puppet. Whatever is done, pull out some/pull out all,
> the user experience of getting started with Puppet should remain
> seamless or at least as good as it is now. For example, if there's
> suddenly another step to get started with Puppet, i.e.:
>
> 1. Install Puppet.
> 2. Add resources.
> 3. See Puppet in action.
>
> Then I think the getting started user experience suffers. Especially
> with so many tutorials out there that just assume various resources will
> be available. If the user gets some esoteric error (Dog forbid Puppet
> having an esoteric error :)) when they try to run a local .pp file or do
> a puppet resource then that's a big turn-off.

I believe separation may be done without rising the learning curve. Once
the puppet is split into (a little) core and a gazylion of modules, a
(sub)set of modules may be identified to be packaged and distributed as
deb, rpm, and so on. Let say there could  be a `puppet-modules` or
`puppet-standard-modules` package and `puppet` could just depend on it (or
at leas recommend it - some packaging systems such as Debian's apt have
such a functionality and it sometimes installs recommended packages
automatically). So, basically you install puppet as always and you get the
puppet and all of it's "standard" types/providers as it is currently.

--
Pawel Tomulik