I want to start a conversation about the package resource type and a bug
that goes back about 6 years.  The current ticket
is https://tickets.puppetlabs.com/browse/PUP-1073 and relates to really old
tickets such as https://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/973.

If I have gem 'x' and RPM 'x', I cannot have puppet manage both of those
resources on the same box. This collision happens quite often in reality.
For example, we are currently working on etcd and have both the etcd server
RPM and the etcd gem. Puppet uses the etcd gem to interact with etcd's API.
We should be able to manage both of these with puppet without a conflict.
Unfortunately, the unique resource name does not key off of the package
name AND the provider.

Has anyone dug into the package type/provider or the puppet code base
enough to know what it might take to fix this? On the surface it seems
relatively easy but as long as the issue has been around it may be more
involved.