Long story short, allowing multiple resources to exist with the same title
but different providers is problematic. I've commented on this at
https://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/1398#note-13 which explains why this
isn't trivial to solve. This is a limitation that is pretty core to how
Puppet works and affects more than just package resources, so while I would
love to see it solved I think we need to determine a general solution to
name collisions in resource titles. If anyone has insights on how to solve
the general problem I'm all ears. :)

On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 1:12 PM, Trevor Vaughan <tvaug...@onyxpoint.com>wrote:

> If you could, please go +1 it in Jira for visibility.
>
> I too would love to see this fixed.
>
> Trevor
>

> On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 1:55 PM, Drew Blessing <drew.bless...@buckle.com>wrote:
>
>> I want to start a conversation about the package resource type and a bug
>> that goes back about 6 years.  The current ticket is
>> https://tickets.puppetlabs.com/browse/PUP-1073 and relates to really old
>> tickets such as https://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/973.
>>
>> If I have gem 'x' and RPM 'x', I cannot have puppet manage both of those
>> resources on the same box. This collision happens quite often in reality.
>> For example, we are currently working on etcd and have both the etcd server
>> RPM and the etcd gem. Puppet uses the etcd gem to interact with etcd's API.
>> We should be able to manage both of these with puppet without a conflict.
>> Unfortunately, the unique resource name does not key off of the package
>> name AND the provider.
>>
>> Has anyone dug into the package type/provider or the puppet code base
>> enough to know what it might take to fix this? On the surface it seems
>> relatively easy but as long as the issue has been around it may be more
>> involved.
>>
>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-dev/058beb1c-3438-4881-9bd7-4961cb752b4e%40googlegroups.com<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-dev/058beb1c-3438-4881-9bd7-4961cb752b4e%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>> .

> Trevor Vaughan
> Vice President, Onyx Point, Inc
> (410) 541-6699
> tvaug...@onyxpoint.com
>
> -- This account not approved for unencrypted proprietary information --

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-dev/CANs%2BFoXMgnXvTOwe62Yz2o80E%3D5SqytRMrRXSXLZORiV50tnDg%40mail.gmail.com<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-dev/CANs%2BFoXMgnXvTOwe62Yz2o80E%3D5SqytRMrRXSXLZORiV50tnDg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

Adrien Thebo | Puppet Labs