On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 10:15 PM, Adrien Thebo <adr...@puppetlabs.com> wrote:
> Long story short, allowing multiple resources to exist with the same title
> but different providers is problematic.

There's no reason to need to do that though. Package just needs to be
able to override the package name without changing $name as that needs
to be unique. So you should be able to do something like:

package { 'somepackage-in-apt': ensure => present, pkgname =>
'somepackage', provider => apt, } package { 'somepackage-in-gem':
ensure => absent, pkgname => 'somepackage', provider => gem, }

Since we've used $pkgname instead of $name this doesn't have the
uniqueness issue. I've looked around the code and this seems easy
enough to do. The Package providers just need to do "pkgname ||= name"
so the older stuff doesn't break.

Can anyone find any fault with this solution? I've commented on these
bug reports a lot of times and never gotten any answer to this. It
seems pretty amazing that this bug still exists after so many years.

Pedro