On Mar 6, 2015, at 9:06 AM, John Bollinger <john.bollin...@stjude.org> wrote:

> On Thursday, March 5, 2015 at 8:42:34 PM UTC-6, Adrien Thebo wrote:
> To me, following the principle of least astonishment indicates that caching
> be disabled by default; it'll work correctly for new users and has no hidden
> gotchas. When people want to do performance tuning they're probably fairly
> sophisticated users and can deal with weird cache invalidation issues; since
> they're opting into this feature they should be prepared to deal with the
> ramifications.
>
> +1
>
> Perhaps it would make sense for PE to be configured differently out of the
> box, but between the two options presented, Puppet's built-in default should
> be no caching.

This feels quite a bit like consensus to me, I've filed
https://tickets.puppetlabs.com/browse/PUP-4094 to track the change which should
hit both in Puppet 3.8 and the Puppet 4 nightlies.

Thank you Owen for kicking off the discussion, and thanks everyone for your
thoughtful replies.

Eric Sorenson - eric.soren...@puppetlabs.com
<mailto:eric.soren...@puppetlabs.com> - freenode #puppet: eric0
puppet platform // coffee // techno // bicycles