On 24/02/16 00:27, Ryan Whitehurst wrote:
On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 3:22 PM, Walter Heck <walterh...@olindata.com> wrote:
On Tuesday, February 23, 2016 at 11:31:18 PM UTC+1, Ben Ford wrote:

Would it be possible in this scheme to mark strict mode per class? I could
mark my own code as being strict and therefore get compile time failures
when I make a typo myself, but wouldn't have to enforce that on all third
party code.

Instead of per class I'd like to be able to set it per (module)path. We use
r10k and split the role and profile modules to their own modulepath
(typically called 'site'), all 3rd party modules live in the standard
modulepath.

I could also imagine people wanting to set this per environment.

Lastly, I think --strict=ignore should be --strict=off, but that's personal
preference.

I agree with everything Walter is saying here. Per-class would be
difficult, but if there was a way to set it per-modulepath, you could
accomplish what Ben is asking for. It should also definitely be an
available setting in environment.conf.

By per modulepath, do you mean per directory containing modules?
the module path consists of multiple directories and the environment has one.

Would adding strictness to the module metadata.json work for you?
Then each module author decides how clean their code is.

--strict=off seems a bit nicer to me as well than does
--strict=ignore, but I don't care much.

I also bought the --strict='off' since in many cases it also actually turns of the checking (but not always, and it may just be a "ignore"/suppression of the logging.

My first thought is that --strict=warn would make a sensible default
in this scenario, as it's most similar to puppet's traditional
behavior of showing deprecation warnings every time.

In the PR that is up, --strict=warning is the default.

--

Visit my Blog "Puppet on the Edge"
http://puppet-on-the-edge.blogspot.se/