On 24/02/16 20:24, Walter Heck wrote:
On Wednesday, February 24, 2016 at 11:49:17 AM UTC+1, Trevor Vaughan wrote:

    I'm also a fan of per module which can override a global setting.

    If it could be part of the metadata.json, that would be ideal and
    would allow for attestation on the Forge if appropriate.

I gave this some thought and I would be heavily against this: a module
doesn't get to decide for it's consumers wether they will want to run in
strict mode. The person running the puppetmaster should decide this,
preferrably on a per environment base.

What I do think would be good to have in metadata.json is a flag that
says which modes the module supports for which puppet versions. That way
it can be displayed on the forge for instance and I can choose in
advance to only download modules supporting strict mode.

Good idea. Ideally the forge should validate the module by parsing everything in it and automatically assert if it passes strict without warnings for the version the module states it supports.

This would be a reasonable measure of quality.

Forge can however not validate the runtime strictness (it would need to evaluate / compile and that is not guaranteed to find all such problems.

We naturally want to make as much as possible be found when parsing and validating statically.

If the forge ere to check strictness for statically discoverable things, would you need to manually state strictness in metadata.json?

- henrik

cheers,

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-dev/2a0bec94-ff66-4e0f-9930-a76a193a5f88%40googlegroups.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-dev/2a0bec94-ff66-4e0f-9930-a76a193a5f88%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.