On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 10:54 AM, Dean Wilson <dean.wil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> AWS: Over the last 5 years I've deployed a -lot- of AWS and spoke to a
> lot of people about it and unless they are a large enterprise
> forklifting their current environment over or looking to run a few
> bits of code at instance time, and just happen to have admins who
> already know it, puppet doesn't really enter the equation. I remember
> evaluating Puppet support for AWS resources about 4 years ago, finding
> it in a very nascent state and then checking in every 6 months or so
> and discovering that it's essentially not moved. To ignore such a
> large player and platform these days is a massive negative to a lot of
> potential users.

The puppetlabs-aws module [1] is pretty powerful these days -- we on
the operations team here at Puppet use it for managing a large portion
of our AWS infrastructure. Along with Daniel Dreier's autosign gem [2]
and associated puppet module [3], we can fully automate the
provisioning and deprovisioning of the majority of our AWS
infrastructure. I'm hardly an expert on AWS, though -- are there
critical features for you that it is missing?

[1] https://forge.puppet.com/puppetlabs/aws
[2] http://danieldreier.github.io/autosign/
[3] https://forge.puppet.com/danieldreier/autosign