On 11 April 2016 at 12:08, R.I.Pienaar <r...@devco.net> wrote:

> Eric asked so here it is, this is my feedback with a open source user hat
> on. Echoing much what was said.  I hope others send in their story.

Since you asked so politely.

I have a few main areas of concern, and oddly they are not so much
with the core puppet project. I think most of the work going in to it
is solid and makes the product more durable and offers a certain
amount of extra sophistication with things like the type system.

So, my issues:

AWS: Over the last 5 years I've deployed a -lot- of AWS and spoke to a
lot of people about it and unless they are a large enterprise
forklifting their current environment over or looking to run a few
bits of code at instance time, and just happen to have admins who
already know it, puppet doesn't really enter the equation. I remember
evaluating Puppet support for AWS resources about 4 years ago, finding
it in a very nascent state and then checking in every 6 months or so
and discovering that it's essentially not moved. To ignore such a
large player and platform these days is a massive negative to a lot of
potential users.

A lot of places went with Ansible for this use case and even though
it's not an area puppet can be said to compete in its led to places
dropping the bits of puppet they did use and running local only
ansible on instances at create time. After all why run two config
management tools? In the same time frame Terraform has appeared and is
currently eating the cloud provisioning world. And what's annoying is
that if you use it for a few days it feels so very much like puppet
0.25 did. Its sharing mechanisms are amazingly basic, it lacks a hiera
stand-in and it has no support for any composite data types. It's a
massive dose of deja-vu and it's something that puppet should be able
to compete with. I also think that in terms of language complexity
people flocking to Ansible and similar should be something to
consider, while I love puppet types, when I can use them without
losing puppet 3 support, a lot of people are happier writing YAML with
Jinja2 embeddd in it. And that's a little sad.

Next up European/London presence: Where is PuppetConf Europe? Why are
the London Puppet User group meetings held in such a small space? Can
the next London Puppetcamp have an advanced track and speakers who
don't already have their slides for that talk on slideshare? These are
all exposure issues and without them the start of the community / user
pipeline doesn't stay filled.

And lastly, and this is more anecdotal, the upgrade to Puppet 4. It's
a lot of work, it makes people nervous and other than iteration it's
not something that's immediately wish-list fulfilling for people. I've
been chipping away at prepping a large code base to puppet 4 and it's
something people dread the burden of rather than optimistic look
forward to getting new features from. Greenfield Puppet 4 is a big
step forward, it's just an even bigger one to get there if you already
have a large deployment.

I know quite a few places that are mostly cloud backed that would
rather move to the newer model of things like consul and consul
template than try to bring all their puppet up to scratch only to have
to do it again in what feels like another 6 months. The general
communities slow support of it has also created a cycle of pain where
important things module and provisioning platforms took a very long
time to justify and add the support for puppet and so caused a
downstream bottle neck of people finding out their tool chain was
puppet 3 only and deferring their own investigations again. I'll also
take this opportunity to single out the great work David Schmitt did
in helping bring Puppet 4 to puppet-syntax. That kind of outreach to
community projects should happen more.

  Dean
--
Dean Wilson               http://www.unixdaemon.net
Profanity is the one language all programmers understand