On 7 February 2017 at 10:44, Thomas Hallgren <thomas.hallg...@puppet.com>
wrote:

> Like Martin Afke above, I'm very interested in what could be done using
> the Puppet Language alone. What use cases can be covered entirely that way?

As David L pointed out, many of these things can be done today in defines,
or classes, already.

What is not feasible to ever do with PL?

Talk to external APIs.

> Would an API that made it possible to write types and providers PL and
> hand over tiny tasks to another language (Ruby, C, Go, etc.) be of
> interest? I.e. a clean cut boundary between the things possible
> (appropriate) to implement with PL and the things that aren't?

I do not understand how extending the puppet dsl on the server helps with
resource management on the agent.

> Perhaps this is a first step in that direction?

In one possible reading, types are already are a extension point of the
DSL, and this proposal makes that less painful, and easier to reason about.

Cheers, David

PS: If anyone is at ConfigurationManagementCamp in Gent these days, hit me
up to talk about this!