On Thu, 2009-03-12 at 00:41 -0700, barrowkwan wrote:
> looks like the following could cause high cpu usage and take puppet
> longer time to finish a catalog run
>

>       file { "/some/path":
>               owner => "user1",
>               group => "group1",
>               ensure => directory,
>               recurse => true
>       }
>
> especially when /some/path contain lot of files and sub-directories...

Do you have checksums enabled by default?

See my comments (look for masterzen comments) in this bug:
http://projects.reductivelabs.com/issues/1973

Basically, if you have a default checksum in your manifests, then what
puppet does is computing all the checksums for all the files (and
storing them in RAM too). This can take a lots of time if you only want
to manage ownership.

The solution is to rewrite to:
        file { "/some/path":
                owner => "user1",
                group => "group1",
                ensure => directory,
                recurse => true,
                checksum => undef
        }

Also you can read my blog post which talks about this issue:
http://www.masterzen.fr/2009/02/21/help-puppetd-is-eating-my-server/
--
Brice Figureau
My Blog: http://www.masterzen.fr/