Hi

> Are you talking about the fix for the bug #1469?
> If yes, it will be in 0.25 only (it would be very difficult to backport
> it as it was possible to implement it for 0.25 because Luke did a huge
> refactor of the file type).
>
> Note, that this bug improves the situation only if your file{} resource
> has the source attribute (downloading files from the puppetmaster).
>
> In your case, I think using checksum => undef should be enough to
> tremendously speed-up this operation.

I'm currently a bit in the same or at least similar situation as we try
to ensure that certain folders and their content of webapplications
always have the right permission. so our idea have been to use the file
resource on these folders, with recursive set to true, etc.

Speed doesn't matter that much, what matters more is the memory usage.

So this is our test-scenario:

--- foo.pp ---

$documentroot='/var/www/vhosts/path/to/joomla/installation/www'

file{ [ "$documentroot/administrator/backups",
        "$documentroot/administrator/components",
        "$documentroot/administrator/language",
        "$documentroot/administrator/modules",
        "$documentroot/administrator/templates",
        "$documentroot/components",
        "$documentroot/images",
        "$documentroot/language",
        "$documentroot/media",
        "$documentroot/modules",
        "$documentroot/plugins",
        "$documentroot/templates",
        "$documentroot/cache",
        "$documentroot/administrator/cache" ]:
                owner => 'user',
                group => 'group',
                mode => 0660,
                recurse => true,
                backup => false,
                checksum => undef,
}
---

a run of just that manifest (so puppet foo.pp) can take up to:

VIRT  RES
273m 193m

of Memory Usage.

which is for:

# du -sch administrator/backups administrator/components
administrator/language administrator/modules administrator/templates
components images language media modules plugins templates cache
administrator/cache
16K     administrator/backups
5.8M    administrator/components
4.2M    administrator/language
664K    administrator/modules
1.9M    administrator/templates
3.2M    components
892K    images
2.6M    language
616K    media
1.8M    modules
7.8M    plugins
9.0M    templates
224K    cache
16K     administrator/cache
39M     total

# find administrator/backups administrator/components
administrator/language administrator/modules administrator/templates
components images language media modules plugins templates cache
administrator/cache | wc -l
4336

# ruby -version

in my opinion still "a bit" too much.

if I don't set recurse (and this is the way we go currently)
everything's fine. So it certainly has to do with recursing a file tree.
I'm running nearly latest head, at least #1965 [1] is applied.

So I'm waiting for 0.25! :) Would the standalone client already be
usable? So I could give feedback if the same manifest runs smoother.

thanks for all the work and cheers

pete

[1] http://projects.reductivelabs.com/issues/1965