On Apr 8, 2010, at 7:24 AM, Evan Hisey wrote:

>> Regardless of if puppet is intended to manage multiple similar hosts, it is
>> still useful when you have a smaller number of unique hosts.
>>
>> If every host is completely unique then you get one some benefits of puppet:
>>  * you have a single place to review your configuration
>>  * you can make changes without having to do it by hand
>>  * puppet checks nothing has changed, and puts it back if something has
>>
>> However, I bet that all your hosts are a *lot* more alike than you think:
>>  * you probably use the same web server (apache, or so), and *mostly* have it
>>   set up the same way on each machine, right?
>>  * you probably use the same MTA on most machines
>>  * you probably use the same log watching and checking stuff on 'em all
>>  * you probably have similar needs for installing PHP and some extra PHP
>>   modules, which are usually configured more or less the same.[1]
>>  * you probably do a bunch of "install mysql, configure like this" stuff the
>>   same on each host.
>>

> You forgot a biggy bonus of puppet, no matter what size you support. I
> have several small ( as in 1-3) groups  of very different machines,
> and with puppet I can rebuild them very quickly on when they need to
> be replaced or upgraded. doing it by hand takes most of a day or 2.

+1 to this.  Almost all the computers I manage have pretty simple
configurations, but it's nice to know that with 4 commands I can wipe
everything and bring it back to a known state.  I use a tftpinstall+preseeding
for ubuntu.  Then puppet finishes the job.  My usecase is probably different
from yours because most of my machines don't have data that needs to be saved
on them.
-Patrick