Evan Hisey wrote:
Regardless of if puppet is intended to manage multiple similar hosts, it is
still useful when you have a smaller number of unique hosts.

If every host is completely unique then you get one some benefits of puppet:
 * you have a single place to review your configuration
 * you can make changes without having to do it by hand
 * puppet checks nothing has changed, and puts it back if something has

However, I bet that all your hosts are a *lot* more alike than you think:
 * you probably use the same web server (apache, or so), and *mostly* have it
  set up the same way on each machine, right?
 * you probably use the same MTA on most machines
 * you probably use the same log watching and checking stuff on 'em all
 * you probably have similar needs for installing PHP and some extra PHP
  modules, which are usually configured more or less the same.[1]
 * you probably do a bunch of "install mysql, configure like this" stuff the
  same on each host.

You forgot a biggy bonus of puppet, no matter what size you support. I
have several small ( as in 1-3) groups  of very different machines,
and with puppet I can rebuild them very quickly on when they need to
be replaced or upgraded. doing it by hand takes most of a day or 2.

That's great! And what to do with various passwords, private keys and so on? Should I put them in manifest?