On Thu, Apr 08, 2010 at 09:32:44AM -0700, Patrick wrote:
> > You forgot a biggy bonus of puppet, no matter what size you support. I
> > have several small ( as in 1-3) groups  of very different machines,
> > and with puppet I can rebuild them very quickly on when they need to
> > be replaced or upgraded. doing it by hand takes most of a day or 2.
> >

> +1 to this.  Almost all the computers I manage have pretty simple
> configurations, but it's nice to know that with 4 commands I can wipe
> everything and bring it back to a known state.  I use a
> tftpinstall+preseeding for ubuntu.  Then puppet finishes the job.  My usecase
> is probably different from yours because most of my machines don't have data
> that needs to be saved on them.

If you want to keep your data (as we do), put it on a separate partition (all
our data is in /srv, and that's on a separate partition), then make sure your
preseed doesn't nuke that partition.  Keep backups in case you need to restore
it.  We can restore a host in about 25 minutes if we care to do it quickly.

Cheers,

--
Eric Gerlach, Network Administrator
Federation of Students

"To Serve, Empower, and Represent the Undergraduate Students of the University
of Waterloo"