I didn't seen this myself Matt. I was using 200g EBS volumes. Can you
see the mount command in action while its blocking and try to
replicate manually it with all command line options etc.

I found the provided and community Centos images where a bit poor -
and rolled my own from scratch because I wanted to use EBS volumes. I
also wanted it to be 'clean' without someone else's customisations as
well :-).

ken.