Hi Ken,

Were those 200GB populated with 50GB+ of data?

Yes it can be mounted with the same options on the command line fine.  Also
if the EBS vol is already mounted it still hangs when it gets to it (remount
thingy).  iostat shows high I/O on the volume when this happens, so I
thought it was due to puppet trying to back it up - but file ( backup =>
false } or changing it to a mkdir -p on the directory it gets mounted on
made no difference.

I thought it could be related to EBS volumes created from snapshots (i.e.
the EBS vol isn't populated fully yet) but it doesn't appear to.

I agree re the community CentOS images, we also rolled our own AMI to keep
in sync with our bare metal repo.

It doesn't hang on most of our EBS mounts, but I know we have a few in live
where we have to kill puppet and finish the catalogue manually.  I couldn't
think of any other way to try and narrow it down to provide any more info.

Matt