Hrm. You mean can the client initiate a command on the puppetmaster?
Yes - but only really at compile time ... so its probably not the
right way to do it.

Do you have a 'virtualisation manager app' that spawns your amazon
instances or are you using the web GUI amazon provides?

I think architecturally your 'virtualisation manager app' is the right
place to do disk attaches - whatever form that takes. That can make
the necessary calls at instance boot time to attach the right drives
as well.

And if you still want the client to trigger the attach ... if your
'virtualisation manager app' supports an API - the new server could
call back to that API. The idea being that whatever virt manager you
use would have more fine grained access control then the amazon web
service does.

ken.