This might be a crazy idea, but it just popped into my head, and I
wanted to know if it's possible. Perhaps not possible right now, but
possible in a theoretical sense.

Is it possible that puppet could be modified to be used to manage
switches that have a command line based interface?

When I manage our Allied Telesis switches (which have a CLI similar to
cisco IOS) I wonder if I could control it via a puppet-like node:

node 'switch-101' {
  vlan { storage:
    id => 1234,
    untagged_ports => "3/e1, 4/e3",
    tagged_ports => "1/e1-2/e48",
  }
  include gvrp
  include stp::rstp
  stp::portfast { "1/e1-e48,2/e1-48",3/e1-48": }
}

Now I know we probably can't get puppet to run on the switch, but we can
get a host to ssh or telnet to the switch, and to download the current
configuration of the switch.

--
+-Geoff Crompton
+--Debian System Administrator