On 20.06.2010 12:38, Christopher wrote:
Hi everyone,

I’ve been working on getting puppet set up for our systems for the
past week, and all has gone well in learning about writing manifests,
but now that I’m ready to set it into production, I realize that it’s
still unclear to me exactly how that’s supposed to go.

For instance, during testing it has always been that I manually
started and stopped puppetd and puppetmasterd on their respective
machines with the following commands

node1 $ puppetd --server servercharlie.bestgroup --waitforcert 60 --
test

and on the master

master $ puppetmasterd --debug --no-daemonize

But now that it’s time for production, trying to start the puppetd
with my init script, yielded the following error:

chown: invalid user: ‘puppet:puppet’

which made me realize that I haven’t done anything in terms of
configuration on the nodes; I simply always ran the above command.

So, I have a few specific questions about this, but I’d also
appreciate any insight into things that I might fail to ask, but could
be relevant to this topic.

1. The init scripts supplied by the Debian package (which I’m actually
not using, I’m just using the init scripts, logrotate.d and /etc/
default files, etc) only act on puppetd. So then how is the
puppetmasterd supposed to be started on the master node? I know the
init scripts can be written. I have no fear of that, but I do get the
feeling that I’m missing something.
You should only use the default scripts for puppetmaster only in developement. The puppetmaster daemon (around version 0.24.8) kept hanging. But a lot has changed since then. I'm not even sure if it's still running via webrick or if it has been updated to mongrel. As of the 0.24.8 I switched to using passenger with apache so I'm not up to date with the changes related to the puppetmaster daemon.

My advice is to either use mongrel or passenger with a production system, and I think this is generally accepted on this list.(please do correct me if I'm wrong)

2. I never really saw where in the documentation puppet.conf file is
addressed. I’ve seen that it’s pretty well documented, but again, did
I miss something, especially considering that I have gone through the
online manifest-writing/language documentation for the past week, and
through all of the testing, I never once did something to configure
the client nodes. As mentioned above, I simply ran the puppetd
command.
The defaults are usally fine, but you milage may vary, depending on what you want to do (exported resources, puppet dashboard, foreman, tagmail etc) You may want to look into the options certname, certdnsnames, confdir, manifestdir, modulepath, manifest, pluginsync, server (this list is for both server and client)

Okay, for specific questions that covers it for now, but like I said,
if there is any other general advice in terms these aspects of puppet,
that would be appreciated too.

As a final note, I should probably point out that I have a Debian
system, but that I haven’t used their package because their libraries
tend to be quite old, and we’ve had a couple of instances where the
web-apps that we develop have actually been derailed because of old
ruby libraries that come as dependencies for these older packages.

Anyway, thanks in advance.

From my experince I prefer the packages, either source recompiled for the current distro or from backports. It's easier to upgrade IMHO. I usally rebuild the debian packages for ubuntu, as ubuntu lags a version or 2 behind debian sid/squeeze. I'm guessing you're using lenny, since squeeze and sid are somewhat up to date. Anyhow if your system is not using packages it is probably easier without packages, but you should think if it would not be easier to create a local repository for your packages and install them via packages.

Good luck with your new install,
Silviu