On 21.06.2010 09:26, christopher floess wrote:

2. I never really saw where in the documentation puppet.conf file is
addressed. I’ve seen that it’s pretty well documented, but again, did
I miss something, especially considering that I have gone through the
online manifest-writing/language documentation for the past week, and
through all of the testing, I never once did something to configure
the client nodes. As mentioned above, I simply ran the puppetd
command.
The defaults are usally fine, but you milage may vary, depending on what you want to do (exported resources, puppet dashboard, foreman, tagmail etc) You may want to look into the options certname, certdnsnames, confdir, manifestdir, modulepath, manifest, pluginsync, server (this list is for both server and client)
Okay, so is puppet.conf for puppetd, puppetmasterd, or all of the puppet components?

From my experince I prefer the packages, either source recompiled for the current distro or from backports. It's easier to upgrade IMHO. I usally rebuild the debian packages for ubuntu, as ubuntu lags a version or 2 behind debian sid/squeeze. I'm guessing you're using lenny, since squeeze and sid are somewhat up to date. Anyhow if your system is not using packages it is probably easier without packages, but you should think if it would not be easier to create a local repository for your packages and install them via packages.
Yes, I am using Lenny, and I've gone the deb making route before. I'll consider it again, but since that's usually a bit of an investment of time, it just seemed like a bit of a detour from getting started with puppet.
Don't try to do it yourself if it's already done in sid, download the sid package source dpkg-source -x it, and dpkg-buildpackage -b ;) Most of the time it works, but there are some casese where this doesn't work (newer debuilder, newer build libs etc)

Unfortunately, we've just had to put forth a real effort to try to not use any of the standard Debian ruby stuff. The interpreter and a handful of gems is fine, but then everything else, we install ourselves. Actually at this point we've also abandoned the interpreter in favor or Ruby enterprise, but that's another thread :)

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards,
Chris

Silviu