You've got some problems that are caused because the packages didn't do things
you need done, and other problems that are unrelated.

On the clients, puppetd will automatically look for the server at puppet, and
should use the search domain.  You really want to change DNS so that the
puppetmaster has a DNS name of puppet.  If it's working, "ping puppet" should
ping the puppet master.  At this point the server flag should be needed anymore.

On the master, you need to create a user and group called puppet.  This user
needs read-only access to everything in/etc/puppet and read-write access to
everything in /var/lib/puppet.  (These are standard locations for Debian, but
they might be in a different place in your version of puppet.  Some of the
files in these directories should not be world-readable, so it's easier to just
make both of them be not world-readable.

I'm assuming that you are using puppet version 0.25.4 or above.  If you aren't,
you should upgrade now.

For startup scripts, it's probably easier to get the scripts from the official
packages or the examples than it is to write your own.

Hints:
puppetd is normally be run as root so it can administrate your (puppet) clients.
puppetmaster is normally run as puppet because it doesn't need to make changes
to the server.

Summery:
1) Make sure that running "ping puppet" on the client pings the server.
2) Add a user called puppet
3) Add a group called puppet
4) chown -R root:puppet /etc/puppet
5) chown -R puppet:puppet /var/lib/puppet
6) Set permissions on /etc/puppet to 640 and 750
7) Set permissions on /var/lib/puppet to 660 and 770

PS if you aren't using version control yet, start using it now.  Even if you
don't use comments, tags, and branches, it will still allow you to:
1) Revert stupid mistakes
2) Do a binary search through your revisions to find out what change caused a
bug.