Thanks for your tip! Path is set early in base inheritance class to:

Exec { path => "/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/
sbin:/sbin" }

But even if I set this path env var in the exec block it fails:

  # here I always get an error
  exec { "extract-$name":
    cwd     => "/usr/local/src",
    command => "$extractor /usr/local/src/$filename",
    timeout => 120,
    path    => "/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/
sbin:/bin",
    require => Exec["download-$name"],
  }

Adding:

    loglevel  => verbose,
    logoutput => true,

Doesn´t give any additional output. I´m a little loss with it...