On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 2:17 AM, Patrick <kc7...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Nov 7, 2010, at 10:45 PM, Nigel Kersten wrote:
>

> On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 9:52 AM, Christopher McCrory
>
> # yes, thrice
>> /usr/sbin/puppetd --no-daemonize --onetime --server
>> puppetmaster.example.com
>> /usr/sbin/puppetd --no-daemonize --onetime --server
>> puppetmaster.example.com
>> /usr/sbin/puppetd --no-daemonize --onetime --server
>> puppetmaster.example.com
>>

> Why do you have to do it three times?
>

> I would like to know why you do it too.  I've needed to do that because:
> 1a) This bug http://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/3561

That's a legitimate reason, but there are ways to avoid this.

> 1b) Sets options in /etc/puppet/puppet.conf

? Why isn't this just a templated config file? Then you just need to supply
appropriate arguments on your first bootstrapping invocation.

> 2) Full run (Will be much shorter because lots of stuff was already done in
> the first run)
> 3) One last chance just in case something didn't work, timed out, or I
> forgot a require.  (Finishes in seconds for me)

Honestly, you should be discovering such missing requires in your testing
process. It's not good practice to simply run another one "just in case" in
my opinion.