On Nov 8, 2010, at 9:54 AM, Nigel Kersten wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 2:17 AM, Patrick <kc7...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 7, 2010, at 10:45 PM, Nigel Kersten wrote:
>
> On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 9:52 AM, Christopher McCrory
>> # yes, thrice
>> /usr/sbin/puppetd --no-daemonize --onetime --server
>> puppetmaster.example.com
>> /usr/sbin/puppetd --no-daemonize --onetime --server
>> puppetmaster.example.com
>> /usr/sbin/puppetd --no-daemonize --onetime --server
>> puppetmaster.example.com
>>
>> Why do you have to do it three times?
>>

> I would like to know why you do it too.  I've needed to do that because:
> 1a) This bug http://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/3561
>
> That's a legitimate reason, but there are ways to avoid this.
>
> 1b) Sets options in /etc/puppet/puppet.conf
>
> ? Why isn't this just a templated config file? Then you just need to supply
> appropriate arguments on your first bootstrapping invocation.

I'm not quite sure what you mean.  My puppet.conf is a templated config file
and I copy it in place using puppet during the first run.

> 2) Full run (Will be much shorter because lots of stuff was already done in
> the first run)
> 3) One last chance just in case something didn't work, timed out, or I forgot
> a require.  (Finishes in seconds for me)
>
> Honestly, you should be discovering such missing requires in your testing
> process. It's not good practice to simply run another one "just in case" in
> my opinion.

But because of the randomness, I don't always discover missing requires during
testing.  I do look over the log file though and if the last run did something,
I can then look into it and fix it.

It theory this might mean I need more testing.  In practice, the order
randomization makes it impossible to ever be sure there are no missing requires
that will cause a run to fail.