Gary Law <gary...@garylaw.net> writes:
> On 24 November 2010 23:50, Nigel Kersten <ni...@puppetlabs.com> wrote:
>> I mentioned this in an earlier thread, but here's a dedicated one.
>>
>> We made a big change between 0.24.x and 0.25.x where we moved from
>> XMLRPC to REST.
>>
>> How do people feel about us dropping all XMLRPC support from 2.7.x,
>> such that it only supported Puppet clients 0.25.x and higher?
>
> That depends on the support model (for bug fixes) puppetlabs is prepared to
> support.  I'd be inclined to support all recent client releases under a year
> old at a minimum. Longer for the real enterprisey conservative shops.
> Remember, a fair few places in the UK are still-running-IE-6 shops.

One of the bits of feedback I have had from various folks out in the wider
world is that (right or wrong) they already feel that Puppet has a pretty fast
upgrade cycle and a very poor backward compatibility story.

> My firm would be happy for a six month release/patch cycle, but we're not
> change averse. Others firms I've worked for are.

*nod*  I think that the Debian maintainers would be less than thrilled at
support for the versions in Debian/stable being dropped totally, and users of
Debian would be unthrilled with needing something out of backports to talk to
their newer Puppet server.

        Daniel
--
✣ Daniel Pittman            ✉ dan...@rimspace.net            ☎ +61 401 155 707