On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 4:35 PM, Daniel Pittman <dan...@rimspace.net> wrote:
> Gary Law <gary...@garylaw.net> writes:
>> On 24 November 2010 23:50, Nigel Kersten <ni...@puppetlabs.com> wrote:
>>> I mentioned this in an earlier thread, but here's a dedicated one.
>>>
>>> We made a big change between 0.24.x and 0.25.x where we moved from
>>> XMLRPC to REST.
>>>
>>> How do people feel about us dropping all XMLRPC support from 2.7.x,
>>> such that it only supported Puppet clients 0.25.x and higher?
>>
>> That depends on the support model (for bug fixes) puppetlabs is prepared to
>> support.  I'd be inclined to support all recent client releases under a year
>> old at a minimum. Longer for the real enterprisey conservative shops.
>> Remember, a fair few places in the UK are still-running-IE-6 shops.
>
> One of the bits of feedback I have had from various folks out in the wider
> world is that (right or wrong) they already feel that Puppet has a pretty fast
> upgrade cycle and a very poor backward compatibility story.
>
>> My firm would be happy for a six month release/patch cycle, but we're not
>> change averse. Others firms I've worked for are.
>
> *nod*  I think that the Debian maintainers would be less than thrilled at
> support for the versions in Debian/stable being dropped totally, and users of
> Debian would be unthrilled with needing something out of backports to talk to
> their newer Puppet server.

To clarify, I'm not saying we're dropping support for people running
those versions, just dropping support for 2.7.x server to talk to
0.24.x clients and earlier.

I believe we've always suggested keeping client and server versions
close, with the server being upgraded before the clients.

The people with Debian stable installs can continue to run the version
of server and client that is available to them, same goes for any
platform that only offers 0.24.x, 0.25.x or 2.6.x.

I'm suggesting this for 2.7.x. Are people really likely to be running
2.7.x servers with 0.24.x clients? I think I would advise people
that's not a particularly wonderful combination anyway, given how much
code is shared between the server and the client.

If you're packaging puppet servers to run 2.7.x, you've already done
all the work to package puppet clients for 2.7.x.

--
Nigel Kersten - Puppet Labs -  http://www.puppetlabs.com