This is exactly what we used schedules for.  System software.was.only
updated at specific times to ensure that we got the maximum io from our
disks.

On Jan 17, 2011 6:50 PM, "Daniel Pittman" <dan...@rimspace.net> wrote:

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 18:38, Nigel Kersten <ni...@puppetlabs.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to get a fee...
At my previous job we planned to used them to control update periods
for production software: we would commit to a specific maintenance
window with a client, then set puppet to install the latest version of
a package (from our private repo) then use schedule to ensure that
happened automatically only during that period.

That would allow us to make other changes to the production systems
through puppet (and, more importantly, ensure that monitoring and
backups were correctly functional) without having to schedule the push
of software through the repository.

The only reason it didn't roll out was that we didn't get time to take
our prototype to full production, so I would imagine they are there by
now.

Regards,
   Daniel
--