On Jan 17, 6:38 pm, Nigel Kersten <ni...@puppetlabs.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to get a feel for the actual use cases for the Schedule type in
> Puppet.
>
> Anyone care to help me out with some real world examples?

Schedules go great with exported resources. My use case is getting
applied changes on machines A-N because of a resource change on
machine M, which may be exporting only. Using Sshkey as an example a
new machine would cause a thousand other machines in its environment
to update on their next run. Then, on the new machines second run it
updates for its own key. In a busy environment that would pretty much
ensure every run on every host applied changes, which I dont like to
see.

My other example, as people have noted, is to respect maintenance
windows. I can think of httpd virtual hosts, DNS updates, & monitoring
system updates that could be affected by schedules.