On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 20:02, John Warburton <jwarbur...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a small number of gems I install on my puppet server, and manage to
> get them compiled and they pick up my non standard environment and install
> OK

I can't help with the gem provider, but my general advice is:

[...]

> 2) Trying to pre-compile the gem and install it. Since I have no idea what I
> am doing, I saw this - https://github.com/frsyuki/gem-compile - which
> implies using my package provider (RPM, Solaris pkg) to install the gem, and
> not gem itself.

This.  Always do this.  It gives you predictable, uniform behaviour, a
uniform interface to specify dependencies between the gem and OS
packages (well, not pkg, maybe ;), and a way to ensure that you have
exactly the same binary code on every machine.

It also means that you need the MySQL development headers, etc, on
exactly *one* machine, not every single node on your infrastructure.
(Which is a benefit you notice once you get asked to roll out two
hundred more nodes on EC2 or something like that. ;)

Regards,
    Daniel

PS: I have "packaged" some gems by literally wrapping the standard OS
packaging tools around running "gem install" with an option to write
to the correct place.  Worked fine for our needs, so it doesn't
require a lot of infrastructure, and you can fetch the thing with 'gem
fetch' for easy operation.

--
⎋ Puppet Labs Developer – http://puppetlabs.com
✉ Daniel Pittman <dan...@rimspace.net>