Hi

I have a small number of gems I install on my puppet server, and manage to
get them compiled and they pick up my non standard environment and install
OK

However, I need to send some options to the mysql gem to get it to compile.
Hence I do it by hand, which is now biting, as well as not the right way to
do it in puppet. I'm also not comfortable having to install a C compiler on
servers I want to install gems on

What are my options in compiling the gem in puppet? I have come up with:

1) Pre-set the environment so that when I run my puppet client from a
wrapper script, I set my compile options there. I'm not too keen on this for
one offs, but can live with it

2) Trying to pre-compile the gem and install it. Since I have no idea what I
am doing, I saw this - https://github.com/frsyuki/gem-compile - which
implies using my package provider (RPM, Solaris pkg) to install the gem, and
not gem itself.

Does anyone do this & have any tips for the hapless & clueless rubygem
newbie?

Thanks

John