On 20 January 2011 15:08, Daniel Pittman <dan...@puppetlabs.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 20:02, John Warburton <jwarbur...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> 2) Trying to pre-compile the gem and install it. Since I have no idea what
>
> This.  Always do this.  It gives you predictable, uniform behaviour, a
> uniform interface to specify dependencies between the gem and OS
> packages (well, not pkg, maybe ;), and a way to ensure that you have
> exactly the same binary code on every machine.

Thanks Daniel - needed that level of definitiveness :-)

> PS: I have "packaged" some gems by literally wrapping the standard OS
> packaging tools around running "gem install" with an option to write
> to the correct place.  Worked fine for our needs, so it doesn't
> require a lot of infrastructure, and you can fetch the thing with 'gem
> fetch' for easy operation.

That gave me the push I needed, and now have my fave packager (
http://pkgbuild.sourceforge.net/) compiling the gem into a packaging
directory for packaging as non root:

gem install --no-ri --no-rdoc mysql --install-dir
/some/where/users/can/write --source http://our/gem/repo

Regards

John