Nigel Kersten wrote:

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 12:27 AM, DEGREMONT Aurelien
<aurelien.degrem...@cea.fr> wrote:

We never use puppetd in daemonized mode, and manual runs puppet when needed
with -t option.

You shouldn't be doing this. If you're running puppet agent out of
cron, you should do something like:

puppetd --onetime --no-daemonize

and not bring in all the ignoring of cache settings that --test does.

Why not?  I run puppetd from cron with --no-usecacheonfailure.
If I manage to insert an error into my production environment,
I prefer that it does not try to apply an outdated catalog, and
instead give me an error message.

(Although when I tried it out now and introduced a deliberate fail()
in my manifests and ran puppetd with --usecacheonfailure, I got an
error when it couldn't parse the YAML it wrote on the previous run:

    err: Cached catalog for soncweb.nsc.liu.se failed: Could not parse
       YAML data for catalog soncweb.nsc.liu.se: syntax error on line
       1234, col 43: `          !ruby/sym line: id:3:initdefault:'

But relying on the fact that Puppet can't parse what it has written
itself doesn't feel very robust, so I think I'll continue with
--no-usecacheonfailure...  [This is Puppet 0.25.5, by the way.])

        /Bellman