Nigel Kersten a écrit :
On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 12:27 AM, DEGREMONT Aurelien
<aurelien.degrem...@cea.fr> wrote:

Please take care that, for my site, and I think other ones,

puppetd -t

is *the* way to run puppet.
We never use puppetd in daemonized mode, and manual runs puppet when needed
with -t option.

You shouldn't be doing this. If you're running puppet agent out of
cron, you should do something like:

puppetd --onetime --no-daemonize

and not bring in all the ignoring of cache settings that --test does.
I do want to ignorecache.
If someone is launching a puppet run, it wants to have the current manifest being taken in account or fail if it cannot be reached. Local caching of catalogs for puppetd is something we really do not want to use. (but this is useful for other scripts we have written based on a R.I.Pienaar's script. We should push this on a mailing list one day)

And cron is only use to run puppet checks (puppetd -t --noop). Real apply from puppet are only run manually.

Unfortunately, puppet guys do not really consider this aspect, that Puppet
could be (and it is) used in a CLI mode, and this is really useful (even
mandatory)

I don't understand what you mean. How is it that we don't consider
this aspect? Many of our deployments run in this manner, primarily due
to limitations of the underlying Ruby stack
The difference here is that you are speaking of "faking" a puppet deamon using "cron + puppetd -t".
We do not use puppet as a daemon (whatever if this is with cron or not).

All puppet changes are applied with explicit and manual "puppetd -t"
All interactions with puppet are manual and CLI based. Admin should manual valid that changes that are being applied are ok.
This is the kind of use of puppet that I think it rarely speak about here ;)

Due to this, we are working on improving the puppet cli experience here. We developped some small wrappers, tools to help admin in this task. We had some tickets opened, but this was not a succes. We are quite busy currently, but I would like to push the patches we made. (an easy one which should not be a problem to be integrated is about filebucket)

Here is :)

Aurélien