And the puppet.conf change? Nothing? Can you try put a typo in
puppet.conf (say, egwedgewdgswrhbrhbre) and then run your puppet
master daemon in the foreground verbosely and complain like this:

[root@puppet-ca ~]# puppetmasterd --no-daemonize --verbose
err: Could not parse /etc/puppet/puppet.conf: Could not match line
dgvdagvdagvdagvag at /etc/puppet/puppet.conf:dgvdagvdagvdagvag
notice: Starting Puppet master version 2.6.3
notice: Caught INT; calling stop