I've read a couple of bug reports via Google about problems managing
directories recursively with Puppet.  Another article suggests to
create a resource that points to an empty directory on the file store,
then use file resources to populate it (which I cannot get to work).

The common error being:

 Error 400 on SERVER: Not authorized to call search on /file_metadata/
usr/local/my/empty-dir with
{:checksum_type=>"md5", :recurse=>true, :links=>"manage"}

When I look at the configuration directives, and I see the usage of
"recurse => true" I assume the directory structure will be created.
Why does this not work?   Some assumptions could be made on the proper
ownership of the unmanaged /sub/directory/tree/dir (upper
directories).

What's the best way to work with this issue?

Thanks.