You're mixing downloads and system packages.

rpm (thus yum) doesn't recognize that you have rubygems and rake
installed, because it only looks at the package database to determine
that. Right now, you are missing a repo that contains those packages
in your rh6 config, so yum can't find and install them automatically.

Best practice is to download everything, or use only system packages.
Don't try to do both.

RHEL6 has an optional repo that likely contains these packages. Try
enabling it.