Hi,

Ubuntu Lucid has a very outdated puppet, 0.25.4

according to:
http://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/puppetlabs_package_repositories.html#for-debian-and-ubuntu

I did this to "enable the repository":

wget http://apt.puppetlabs.com/puppetlabs-release_1.0-3_all.deb
sudo dpkg -i puppetlabs-release_1.0-3_all.deb

but this still does not result in installing an up to date puppet

apt-get remove puppet
apt-get install puppet

Setting up puppet (0.25.4-2ubuntu6.7) .

I tried installing via gems:

sudo gem install puppet

which does give:

Successfully installed puppet-2.7.14

but /usr/bin/puppet -V still gives 0.25.4

If I apt-get remove puppet then there is no longer a /usr/bin/puppet at all
and there is no puppet on my path.

I find something on a pastebin somewhere:

/bin/ln -s /var/lib/gems/1.8/bin/puppet /usr/bin/puppet

but surely this can't be the recommended way to install.

or am I supposed to have /var/lib/gems/1.8/bin/ on my path ?

gems was installed with:

apt-get install rubygems

Obviously I'm not a ruby person, and I've just read the rubygems docs
regarding versions and why its not on the path. ("onerous")

But how is puppet supposed to use it, what is recommended practice ?
I don't want it on MY path since it won't be my user running the puppet
agent.
Its already tedious installing puppet on each server in this fashion.

thanks for any advice !

http://pastebin.com/UGqdE7rL