On Jun 18, 2012, at 7:48 PM, Eric Shamow wrote:
> You don't need to use Hiera.  You can use any data lookup tool you like to do
> the same thing.

You are suggesting to create an external data reference for something which
should be 100% expressed within the puppet policies.  There is no other need
for external data lookup (related to this software, this unit build, etc) so
having to build an infrastructure and new data source to express this idea
simply doesn't make much sense.

> Instead of making the case that someone else should do this, I recommend that
> you code up a solution and issue a pull request.  If the code looks valuable
> it can then be managed like any other feature or code request in Puppet.

Given that most of the work I've submitted to date hasn't even been reviewed
nevermind prioritized, I think you can understand why I avoid writing code
before there is someone interested in having it.  Over the years I've learned
to pay attention to this, and my effort based on that.

> Code wins arguments.

I so totally wish that were true, but I've spent far too many years in the
linux / *bsd / postgres / etc communities to be that naive ;-)

--
Jo Rhett