Hi,

On 06/19/2012 10:24 PM, Jon Schewe wrote:

>     Node scope is staying a thing, because it has to for the time being.
>
>     - It's unfortunately anonymous, so there's no way to address it
>     directly. You have to use the variable's short name to get there.
>     - But you can most assuredly get there.
>     - However, some versions in the 2.7.x series issue a false warning
>     when you're trying to get to node scope. more recent versions should
>     have that fixed.
>
>     Did that clear things up?
>

> So what I'm currently doing is perfectly valid and should continue to
> work with 2.8, I've just got a version that's giving me extra warnings.
> Correct?

I don't like to be the naysayer, but I don't like to let that stand -
hiera is not some third party mashup you can loosely tie to puppet. It's
been designed by our very own R.I. Pienaar for the sole purpose of
*relieving* you from the burden of managing your data inside nodes.pp
(of course, as long as it works, you're free to choose to do that anyway).

My understanding is that come puppet 3.0, hiera will be a first classe
citizen and part of the puppet core proper. It's actually a supposedly
superior way to store node data than manifest variables.

Please don't get me wrong - everyone should find what works best for
themselves, and by all means stick to it. Only meant to point out that
hiera is an awesome concept that shouldn't be dismissed.

Cheers,
Felix