----- Original Message -----

I agree but its also quite hard, the proposed fix is using the masters
vardir location as default for where servers must put their snippets, this
is ridiculous and not a usable fix.

There is no default really for where nodes put their vardir, we can assume
/var/lib/puppet or something but that just doesn't hold true always and
will in those cases just fail again during a run.

Pluginsync is well understood and so widely used that I think more or less
everyone has figured out how to enable it either first run or use a first
run environment that bootstraps puppet - though how you would do that without
the ability to edit the config file is a good question.