On Tue, 2012-06-19 at 03:23 -0700, Duncan wrote:
> Hi folks, I'm scratching my head with a problem with system load.
>
> When Puppet checks in every hour, runs through all our checks, then
> exits having confirmed that everything is indeed as expected, the vast
> majority of the time no changes are made.  But we still load our
> systems with this work every hour just to make sure.  Our current
> configuration isn't perhaps the most streamlined, taking 5 minutes for
> a run.
>
> The nature of our system, however, is highly virtualised with hundreds
> of servers running on a handful of physical hosts.  It got me thinking
> about how to reduce the system load of Puppet runs as much as
> possible.  Especially when there may be a move to outsource to
> virtualisation hosts who charge per CPU usage (but that's a business
> decision, not mine).
>
> Is there a prescribed method for reducing Puppet runs to only be done
> when necessary?  Running an md5sum comparison on a file every hour
> isn't much CPU work, but can it be configured so that Puppet runs are
> triggered by file changes?  I know inotify can help me here, but I was
> wondering if there's anything already built-in?

It depends on what you really want to achieve. Part of the CPU
consumption is to make sure the configuration on the node is correct.

I see a possibility where:
* you don't care if there is some configuration drift on the agent (ie
manual modifications for instance)
* you run the agent on demand when you need a change

This can be done with something like MCollective where you can decide to
remotely launch some puppet runs as you see fit.

Now you need to have a way to map from manifest modification to a set of
hosts where you need a puppet run (which might not be that trivial).
--
Brice Figureau
Follow the latest Puppet Community evolutions on www.planetpuppet.org!