On Wednesday, June 20, 2012 1:50:38 PM UTC-5, IndyMichaelB wrote:

> puppet kick from your master after you make a change

Combining normal agent behavior with periodic kicks would increase the
workload of all parties, so I suppose you are suggesting to configure
agents to update only when kicked, or perhaps to combine listening for
kicks with a much longer run interval.

At least half the reason for periodic agent runs is to *maintain* client
nodes in the declared state, however, regardless of whether manifests have
changed on the master.  Relying exclusively on kicks would give up that
state maintenance, and lengthening the run interval would increase the
window in which misconfiguration of managed resources can persist.  These
may be acceptable tradeoffs for some, but given that the OP is already
using an unusually short run interval, I would guess that they are not
acceptable for him.

John