On Wednesday, June 20, 2012 4:34:48 AM UTC-5, pablo.f...@cscs.ch wrote:

I really think the original question is very good: "why do you need to
> compile all manifests again and again when there is no change on the
> sources (files/ENC/whatever input)?"

That's a fair question, but the original one was about agent runs, not
about the master's behavior.  For what it's worth, the master needs to
recompile manifests because the result depends not only on the manifest
files, but also on node facts and external data provided by ENCs and / or
query functions such as extlookup() and hiera(), and perhaps even on
functions whose results inherently vary from run to run (e.g.
"inline_template('<%=Time.now.inspect%>')").

Tricks like the proposed ones are clearly not the solution,

Of course not.  They are not proposed as solutions for the problem you are
now talking about.

> and even if the language is not prepared for that today, this is probably
> something worth developing for the future. How many changes do you perform
> to the system? I believe 95% of the compile time (probably closer to 99%)
> produces exactly the same output again and again.

I'm sure you're right that at many sites, most compilations produce the
same result as previous ones, but at some sites, new compilations
*never*produce the same results as previous ones (see the inline_template
example
above).  It may be that the catalog compiler can be made smart enough to
recognize which catalog + facts combinations are safe to cache, and that
might indeed be a big win in puppetmaster capacity for some, but I think
it's a harder problem than you may have supposed.

John