On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 3:36 PM, llow...@oreillyauto.com
<llow...@oreillyauto.com> wrote:
> The dashes have been semi-supoported for a short while, and depreciated for
> most of 2.7.x

Dashes in variable names started working again in 2.7.3.  According to
Daniel Pittman, they shouldn't have started working again.  We looked
at the documented behavior and decided to change Puppet to match the
documentation.  This change went into the 2.7.x branch and was
released in 2.7.17.

This is what happened and why it happened.

Now...  Forcing our users to refactor all of their manifests is
something I'm not so keen on.  Particularly in a minor release.

Do you think we should continue allowing hyphens in variables in 2.7
and only "fix" this to error out in 3.0?

> I had originally thought that 3.X would be the change where it went from
> warning to error, but it looks like they pushed this out with 2.7.17 for
> whatever reason.

It was never a deprecation warning as far as I can tell.  2.6.16
errors out, as does 2.6.7 and 2.6.12.  2.7.0 and 2.7.1 did error out.
2.7.3 didn't error out for whatever reason and this was the point we
accidentally regressed to allowing hyphens in variable names.  This
allowance remained all the way through 2.7.14.  In 2.7.16 we "fixed"
it again to error out with hyphens in variable names.  This remained
in 2.7.17.

So, I think the story is...  Don't use hyphens in variable names (and
class names).  We accidentally allowed them from 2.7.3 through 2.7.14
but we've gone back to it being an error.

-Jeff