On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 4:38 PM, Paul Belanger
<paul.belan...@polybeacon.com> wrote:
> On 12-06-28 08:57 AM, Ken Dreyer wrote:
>>
>> Hi Puppet folks,
>>
>> I'm a Fedora packager, and I'm looking into packaging up some of the
>> modules at http://forge.puppetlabs.com/users/puppetlabs
>>
>> I'm thinking through the naming scheme for modules. It looks like the
>> upstream modules include the creators' names as part of the package names,
>> which strikes me as a little verbose from the perspective of Fedora
>> packaging.
>>
>> For example, the Puppetlabs' mysql module RPM  would (in theory) be called
>> "puppetmodule-puppetlabs-mysql". That's a mouthful. Any chance we could
>> have the Puppet Labs' modules be considered "canonical" modules on the
>> Forge, and then strip away the puppetlabs vendor name? Any other ideas
>> welcome.
>>
> I'm considering doing the same for Debian.  I haven't researched a naming
> scheme yes however I would expect something like
> puppetmodule-puppetlabs-mysql or puppet-module-puppetlabs-mysql would apply.
>
> I'd be reluctant to call it puppet-module-mysql unless it was actually
> bundled within puppet.

In the Debian world I'd consider a metapackage (hope this is the right
term) callet puppet-module-mysql, that can be install package
alternatives, and have puppet-module-puppetlabs-mysql (or something
like that) be one of possibly many alternatives.

I think the bigger question is whether Puppetlabs (via puppet forge)
considers best practice to have multiple modules supporting the same
service to be either/or alternatives, or wants people to make modules
that can be coexist in parallel. In my limited experience working with
people's third party modules, there seems to be an assumption that a
given module will be the only module on a given
puppetmaster/modulepath that is capable of managing a given
service/package, but I don't know if this is a published standard or
just people not thinking folks might want to have two modules managing
the same resource installed at the same time.