As many of you have doubtless noticed, Puppet 3 and Facter 2 have been sitting
in RC (Release Candidate process) for a long time. That's about to change, but
they won't be getting released as they currently stand. Puppet 3 and Facter 2
have been pulled out of the RC process after we recognized that the performance
needed to be worked on and the reworked pluginsync was not going to solve the
problems that we had aimed for it to solve. What this means is the Facter
2.0rc and Puppet 3.0rc branches will be removed, and work will be targeted at
the Facter 2.x and Puppet 3.x branches. When they are ready for release we will
restart their rc process, continuing from the last rc tag.

In order for us to be able to concentrate on getting things right, we are going
to concentrate all of our efforts on 3.0 until it is out. After it is out we'll
move to an alternating release cadence between the Puppet 2.7/Facter 1.6 series
and the Puppet 3.x/Facter 2.x series. At this point Puppet 2.7/Facter 1.6 will
be in bug fix only mode, all new features will go into the Puppet 3.x/Facter
2.x series.

One reason for the Puppet 3 and Facter 2 (and Hiera 1) releases to to reset our
version number system to match SemVer (seehttp://semver.org for more
information about what exactly that is, if you are not familiar with it). At
the moment it is still a little bit up in the air how we are going to try to
focus work on 3.0.y bug fixes and new, backward compatible features for later
3.x versions. We'll keep you posted as we come up with a plan.

If you have questions or concerns, please let us know.

Mike Stahnke
Community Manager